I was inspired to make this necklace after seeing these necklaces from Urban Outfitters. Since I didn't have any fools gold I just bought some polished rocks from the dollar store.
Materials and Supplies
- Jump Rings
1. Wrap some chain around your rock in a circle and use a jump ring to close circle, then wrap more chain around the rock in the different direction. (So one goes around the width, and the other the height)
2. Cut approximately 12" of wire. Create a hook on one end of your wire with your pliers, and hook it onto the chain on the rock (doesn't matter where). Use your pliers to squeeze the wire hook securely onto the chain.
3. Start wrapping the wire around the rock. There is no right way to do this, you want it to look nice though, and help hold the rock in place.
4. Secure the wire end in the same way you put it on.
5. Create a loop for your necklace chain to go through. This can be done in so many ways. Either create a large loop of chain towards the top of the necklace using jump rings to attach it (this is what I did), or you can create a loop at the top using wire, or a combination of wire and a jump ring.
6. Measure some chain long enough to go around your neck (however long you want the necklace). Use a jump ring to attach a clasp to the end. Thread your chain through the loop at the top of your necklace.
For my necklace I also decided to add some dangling chain to it using jump rings to attach the chain.
What I love about this project is that nothing needs to be perfect. The chains and wire is all put on randomly, but holds in the rock perfectly!
Find me on:
Don't forget to share the love using the buttons below :)