4. Cut off your bra straps, if needed round off the top of the bra so that it's smooth.
5. Fold the fabric down over the top of the bra and pin down.
6. Sew down the fabric along the top of the bra ending right at the underwire. Sew down the fabric on the bottom of the bra starting at the bottom of the side band, and ending on the opposite side. Make sure you do not sew through the underwire, or you will be going through A LOT of needles!
7. Cut off the back bra closures. Trace a pattern of the side straps that starts from the side of the underwire. Be sure to include at least a 1cm seam allowance. Also make the band a bit longer at the back.
8. Cut out two side bands from your fabric.
9. Turn under the edge of your side band and pin it onto the bra up against the underwire.
10. Hand sew the band onto the bra in the same spot.
11. Fold down the top and bottom edges of the band down over your bra.
15. On one side of the back band sew in the bathing suit clasp. On the otherside sew a small loop for the clasp to hold into. (The loop will look the same as below, just without the clasp in it)
I can not wait to wear this in Arizona, it is my best fitting bathing suit top I've ever owned!
People keep wondering if this bathing suit top is actually "swimmable". Did you know that most bras are made out of the exact fibre content (Nylon and Spandex) as swimsuits?!?
This is by far my most worn swim suit top...it's been to the ocean in Mexico, swimming in the local lake, relaxing in countless hot tubs, swimming in chlorine filled pools in Arizona and much more, and it's still holding up perfectly!
Be sure to check out the rest of my DIY projects HERE!